Photo of the Week
September 12, 2010
Here we have two classic and valuable photos of the Pan-American - Grace Mini S-43 (JRS-1) Sikorsky Mini Clipper at Albrook Field. This particular plane was named "Santa Maria".
The Sikorsky S-43 was a twin engine amphibious aircraft manufactured in United States during the 1930s by the American firm Sikorsky Aircraft. The S-43 first flew in 1935, and was a smaller version of the Sikorsky S-42 "Clipper". It accommodated between 18 and 25 passengers, with a separate two-crew forward cockpit. The S-43 was known as the "Baby Clipper" in airline service. In total, approximately 53 S-43s were built. The S-43 was used primarily by Pan American World Airways for flights to Cuba and within Latin America.
can see Sosa Hill behind the plane in the top photo and what we used to
call "Tank Hill" which was between Albrook and Los
Rios/Corozal in the lower photo. Really great photos!! More
to come from this album in the weeks to come.
of the Week | Photo
Archives | Main
Show Room | Photo
Room | Military
PC History | Sign Guest Book | Read Guest Book | Search CZ Images | CZ Web Searcher
Gift Shop | Links