Photo of the Week
October 6, 2002
Excerpt and photo from the book "Rails to the Diggings", by Charles Small (below):
"To keep the Obispo River out of the excavation, from Emperador north, the French built a diversion channel,
which extended past Las Cascadas on the east
bank. For this construction they built a railroad line,
independent of the P.R.R., and extended it to
This bridge could not be used by the Americans because it was in the path of their canal and at too low an elevation. The French bridge was removed and a new bridge built at a higher elevation. This bridge was completed during July 1908. The original dyke, built to keep the Chagres out of the Culebra cut, was used as the northern exit for the dirt trains which proceeded north to the dumping grounds. As the excavation deepened, and the dyke was raised, the grades on these exit tracks became too steep. The dyke track was extended on a 1V2 grade to the level of the relocated P.R.R. New entrance and exit tracks were provided from the relocated P.R.R. into the cut on a 2V2 grade. These connections were combined in the Tower R interlocking plant early in 1912."
Another historical tid-bit from our home. Long live the memory of the Canal Zone.
of the Week | Photo
Archives | Main
Show Room | Photo
Room | Military
PC History | Sign Guest Book | Read Guest Book | Search CZ Images | CZ Web Searcher
Gift Shop | Book Store | Links