Photo of the Week
October 14, 2001
While diving in the area, we ventured out into what was once called the "Black Swamp" which was very eerie. And again along the rail line, there were many fence posts along the line that were once Lignin Vitae railroad ties.
This trestle did not cross the Chagres, but another small river that emptied into the Chagres.
History: The hamlet called Ahorca Largarto was located on a bend of the Chagres River, and may well have been a resting place for the cramped travelers in canoes in the old days. The origin of it's name claims the author and historian Otis, "Ahorca Lagarto, 'to hang the lizard,' deriving its name from a landing-place on the Chagres near by; this again, named from having, years back, been pitched upon as an encampment by a body of government troops, who suspended from a tree their banner, on which was a lizard, the insignia of the Order of Santiago." In 1908 it had sixty-two inhabitants, of whom three were white, two yellow, and the balance Negro.
This area today is all underwater near Isla Juan Gallegos (also known as "Lion Island" named after the nearby early town of "Lion Hill") in Gatun Lake.
Another chapter of our Canal Zone history!
of the Week | Photo
Archives | Main
Show Room | Photo
Room | Military
PC History | Sign Guest Book | Read Guest Book | Search CZ Images | CZ Web Searcher
Gift Shop | Book Store | Links