|This is a very interesting relic that
was found on Gorgona Island in Gatun Lake. It is made of lead and has two metal
wires going through it. It looks very much like a seal used in shipping. Like
big tractor trailers today, shippers use a seal to show the receiver that the cargo hasn't
been disturbed. This seal was probably used in the shipping of some thing from
Aspinwall (Colon today) to someone in Gorgona back in mid 1800's after the Panama Railroad
was in operation. Colon was named Aspinwall after William H. Aspinwall who conceived
the idea of building a railroad across the Isthmus. Associated with him in the
enterprise was Henry Chauncey, capitalist of New York, and John Loyd Stephens, an explorer
and engineer. They obtained from the government of New Granada (Columbia) a contract
and concession for the proposed road, which was completed in 1855.
This relic is probably one of a kind and is about the size of a nickel.